Bake the mangos under the coconut batter, then flip it out to reveal one beauty of a moist and juicy cake.
- Yield:makes one 9-inch cake
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:2 hours
- 10 tablespoons (5 ounces) unsalted butter, divided, melted
- 2/3 cup (4 2/3 ounces) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large mangoes, peeled, sliced
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (6 1/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Pour 4 tablespoons melted butter into 9-inch cake pan and swirl to coat bottom. Evenly sprinkle brown sugar into bottom of pan. Arrange mango slices in one even layer over sugar.
In large bowl, whisk remaining 6 tablespoons melted butter with sugar, salt, eggs, coconut milk, and vanilla. In small bowl, whisk flour, coconut, and baking powder until combined. Whisk into egg mixture until just combined. Spread into pan over fruit and smooth the top.
Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cake cool in pan 45 minutes. Run knife along inside edge of pan to loosen, then invert onto serving plate or cooling rack to finish cooling.