- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 2 English hothouse cucumbers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, from about 4 limes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced on a sharp bias
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil leaves
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted and sliced
Combine cucumbers, ginger, garlic, jalapeño, salt, sugar, cilantro, lime juice and oil in a large bowl. Let sit at room temperature, stirring every so often, until flavors are combined and mellowed, about 40 minutes.
Fish out the garlic cloves and discard. Add celery and basil and toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, sugar and lime juice if desired.
Arrange avocado slices on plates and spoon salad and dressing over top.