Crunchy, paper thin almond cookies favored with orange.
Notes: If you have silipat sheets, this is the time to use them. These cookies are incredibly thin and crunchy. It's much easier to peel them off the silicone liners than off greased parchment. Also, don't store these cookies with others as the moisture from the other cookies will cause these to soften.
- Yield:makes 2 dozen cookies
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:35 minutes
- 6 ounces (1 2/3 cup) sliced blanched almonds, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon orange zest from 1 medium orange
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Adjust oven rack to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and preheat to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with silipat liners (see note). In a medium bowl, combine almonds, flour, zest, and salt; set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine butter, corn syrup, heavy cream, and sugar over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, let boil hard for 1 minute, then take off heat, stir in vanilla, and pour over nut mixture. Stir to combine.
When dough is cool enough to handle, scoop into rounded tablespoons and drop on prepared baking sheets at least 2 1/2-inches apart. Bake until golden and flat, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely then gently remove from baking sheet.