I don't know where other pastry chefs get their ideas, but I was inspired to create muffins with my favorite Irish whisky. With slightly fruity bittersweet chocolate and some fresh cinnamon, these muffins are a great way to start your day. Don't forget to warm them up so the chocolate is melty and top them off with some salted butter.
- Yield:Makes 12 muffins
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1 3/4 cup (8 3/4 ounces) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (about 2 ounces) vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup (about 6 1/2 ounces) yogurt
- 1/2 cup (about 4 ounces) whisky or bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 400°F. Place flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine. In a separate bowl whisk together vegetable oil, yogurt, whisky and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and top with chocolate chips, then quickly but gently fold to combine. Batter will still be slightly lumpy.
Scoop batter into lined 12 cup muffin tin, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn and bake for another 5. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.