Two of the most indulgent desserts come together in this irresistible bar cookie.
Notes: Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield:makes one 9 x 9-inch pan
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:2 hours
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) plus 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup (3 3/4 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (3/4 ounce) cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9- by 9-inch baking pan.
In large bowl set over pan of simmering water, melt butter with chocolate until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in salt, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and sour cream. Add flour, cocoa, and baking powder to the bowl and whisk until smooth. Drop blobs of batter into the pan. Do not spread.
In another large bowl, stir cream cheese with remaining 4 tablespoons sugar until smooth with no lumps. Whisk in remaining teaspoon vanilla and remaining egg. Drop blobs of cheesecake batter into pan in any of the empty spots or crevices.
Using a butter knife or offset spatula, swirl batters together. Bake until just set, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pan an hour. Cut into bars and serve.