- Yield:Serves 6
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and chopped into half moons, rinsed well of grit
- 1 large bunch chard, rinsed well, leafy parts and stems divided, stems finely chopped and leaves cut into ribbons
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) uncooked orzo pasta
- 4 ounces feta cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a two-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add leeks, chard stems, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until vegetables sweat but do not brown, about 4 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add chard leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and orzo and bring to a boil, stir well, and remove from heat. Add feta, dill, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and transfer to baking dish, smoothing top.
Spray a piece of aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray and cover dish tightly. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil and bake until top of orzo has browned slightly, about 20 minutes longer. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.