Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 2 teapsoons cornstarch
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 bone-in, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total)
- Kosher salt
- Half pound dry elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces grated American cheese
- 8 ounces grated pepperjack cheese
- 1 (3.5 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought salsa verde
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
Combine cornstarch, evaporated milk, and eggs in a small bowl and whisk until homogenous. Set aside.
Place chicken breasts in a large Dutch oven or stockpot and cover with water by 4 inches. Season with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes after a boil is achieved. Using tongs, transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
Return water to high heat until boiling and add pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally, until barely al dente. Drain pasta and return to pot. While pasta is cooking, pull chicken meat into bite-sized shreds and set aside, discarding bones.
When pasta is cooked, return to low heat. Add butter and stir until melted. Add evaporated milk/egg mixture and cheese. Stir until smooth and creamy. Stir in chopped chilies, salsa verde shredded chicken, cilantro, and scallions. Serve immediately.