You wouldn't think that citrus and coffee would go together, but we absolutely love this cocktail from Tradition in San Francisco, which brings together Jameson and chicory-infused rye whiskey.
- Yield:makes 1 cocktail, plus extra infused rye and coffee syrup
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:24 hours
- For the Chicory-Infused Rye:
- 6 ounces rye whiskey, such as Bulleit
- 1/2 tablespoon ground chicory
- For the Coffee Syrup:
- 6 ounces strong coffee or espresso
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- For the Cocktail:
- 1 ounce Jameson Irish whiskey
- 1 ounce chicory-infused rye
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 ounce freshly squeezed juice from 1 orange
- 3/4 ounce coffee syrup
- 1/2 ounce egg white
- 1/2 ounce soda
- Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg
For the Chicory-Infused Rye: mix rye and chicory in a resealable glass jar, seal, and shake well. Let infuse overnight, then fine-strain and reseal.
For the Cofee Syrup: stir sugar into coffee until dissolved. Let cool before using.
For the Cocktail: To make the cocktail, add Jameson, chicory-infused rye, lemon juice, orange juice, coffee syrup, and egg white to a mixing glass. Fill with ice, shake hard until well chilled, about 20 seconds. Pour into Irish coffee glass and top with soda. Garnish with nutmeg and serve immediately.