Note: for a spicier version, use a habanero pepper. For a milder version, use the jalapeño, or no chili at all.
- Yield:Makes about 2 quarts
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 2 quarts finely shredded white or savoy cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 1 cup finely grated carrot (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion (about 1 small)
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 allspice berries
- 1 habanero (or Scotch bonnet) pepper or jalapeño pepper, split in half (see note)
Combine cabbage, carrot, red onion, and 2 tablespoons kosher salt in a large bowl. Massage salt into vegetables. Set aside. Combine vinegar, sugar, allspice, pepper, and 1 cup water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour boiling liquid over cabbage mixture, then place a paper towel directly on top of surface, pressing down until it is saturated to keep the cabbage submerged. Let rest at room temperature until cool. Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use. Slaw will keep for about 2 weeks.