Savory, cheesy, with a hint of heat, these Old Bay Corn Muffins are just begging to accompany a plate of shrimp and grits.
Note: If you can't find low sodium Old Bay, then decrease salt to 1/2 teaspoon.
- Yield:makes 12 muffins
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups medium grind cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons low sodium Old Bay seasoning (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for greasing tin
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Grease muffin tin with butter.
In a medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, Old Bay, chili powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in butter, followed by cheese.
Pour batter 3/4 way into prepared tin. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm.