The delicate honey flavor of these biscotti is accented with notes of vanilla, lemon, and almond.
Note: The taste of honey varies wildly between types. Because it acts as the primary sweetener in these cookies, be sure to choose a strongly flavored honey, such as Orange Blossom or Buckwheat.
- Yield:makes about 32 cookies
- Active time: 25 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 5 minutes
- 3 1/2 cups (about 17 1/2 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup strongly flavored honey, such as Orange Blossom or Buckwheat (see note)
- 2 packed teaspoons lemon zest, from about 1 large lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for egg wash
- Sugar, for topping
Adjust oven rack to middle and upper positions and preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, beat together butter, eggs, and honey with an electric mixer until creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients and beat until just combined. Stir in almonds.
Divide dough into four equal parts. Shape each part into 3-inch wide log. Brush each log with egg wash and sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Take cookies out of oven and reduce heat to 300°F.
When cool enough to handle, cut each log on the bias to form 1-inch wide cookies. Place cookies cut side down on baking sheet and bake until toasted, 15-20 minutes more. Let cool for 5 minutes then transfer for a wire rack to finish cooling. Cookies will keep, stored in an airtight container, for up to 1 week.