Read more: Sauced: Curry Ketchup
- Yield:makes 2 cups
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 (1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped medium (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic (about 1 medium clove)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato purée
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Place cinnamon stick, ginger, cardamom, and cloves in an 8-inch square piece of cheesecloth and tie close.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, curry powder, paprika, and ground mustard and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato purée, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and cheesecloth packet; stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened to the consistency of ketchup, 45 to 60 minutes.
Remove cheesecloth bundle and discard. Transfer ketchup to jar of a blender and purée until completely smooth.
Wash and dry saucepan, then place a fine mesh strainer over top. Pour ketchup in strainer and, using a spatula, push through all of the ketchup.
Taste ketchup and adjust seasonings if necessary. Pour ketchup into a jar, seal, and store in refrigerator for up to a month.