- Yield:Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:10 minutes
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat bacon grease in medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add flour and tomato paste and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture darkens slightly, about 1 minute.
Slowly whisk in diced tomatoes, milk, and heavy cream. Reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.