Topped off with sliced green onions, cilantro, and shredded cheese, this combo of spicy kimchi, savory beef, and crunchy corn chips creates a tasty, tasty mess of flavors—the kind best washed down with a cold beer.
Read more: Bar Bites: Kimchi Frito Pie
- Yield:serves 6 to 8
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 medium cloves)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken or beef broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups roughly chopped kimchi
- 8 bags of individual-sized Fritos corn chips
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Roughly chopped cilantro, for garnish
Heat both of the oils in a large wok over high heat until shimmering. Add the ginger, garlic, and the white parts of the onions and stir-fry just until the garlic begins to brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Add the beef and break the beef up using a wooden spoon or spatula. Stir-fry the beef until it is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the pepper, soy sauce, and sugar and stir to combine. Whisk the beef stock and cornstarch together in a small bowl, then pour the mixture into the wok. Continue to stir and cook until the liquid reduces and thickens, 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the kimchi and cook just until the kimchi is warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Open one end of each of the Frito bags, then spoon some of the kimchi beef mixture into each bag. Garnish with shredded cheese, cilantro, and the rest of the green onions and serve immediately.