These slightly chewy Italian cookies have ground toasted almonds and blood orange zest in the base. They're dipped in egg whites and topped with slivered almonds, then coated in a dusting of confectioners sugar.
Note: To toast almonds, preheat oven to 325°F and spread almonds over a baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 7 minutes.
adapted from Babbo
- Yield:makes 3 dozen cookies
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 45 minutes
- For Cookies
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds, toasted and cooled (see note)
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (about 7 ounces) sugar
- 1 egg yolk (white reserved)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 packed teaspoon blood orange zest from about 1 small blood orange
- For Coating
- 1 egg white (reserved from egg above)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced blanched almonds
- Confectioners sugar, for dusting
In the bowl of a food processor, grind toasted almonds until the consistency of coarse flour. Add to a medium bowl with flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixture until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg yolk, orange zest, and vanilla; beat to combine. Add dry ingredients to the bowl and beat until it comes together into a dough. Divide dough into two equal pieces. Form each piece into a 1-inch wide log, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
Adjust oven rack to lower and middle positions and preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut the first log of dough into 1/4th-inch wide slices.
Place egg white in a shallow bowl. Fill another shallow bowl with sliced almonds. Dip each cookie into egg white, then into sliced almonds to coat. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake cookies until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Dust with confectioner's sugar to coat.