- Yield:serves 3 to 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:40 minutes
- 4 ounces green Thai bird chilies, seeds removed, sliced
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 medium shallots, peeled and finely sclied (about 1 cup)
- 4 medium cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 3 ounces shitake mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces baby bok choy leaves (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled
- 5 ounces dried rice vermicelli, soaked in cool water for 30 minutes
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup bean sprouts
Place sliced chilies in small bowl. Pour boiling water over to cover. Let sit 10 minutes, then drain. Add vinegar, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Allow to cool. For best results, refrigerate at least overnight. Chilies can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
For the stir-fry: Heat 3 tablespoons oil in wok over medium heat until shimmering. Add shallots, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms have softened and are beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
Increase heat to medium high and stir in bok choy. Cook until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute. Add remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Add shrimp, softened vermicelli, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, white pepper, and sprouts.
Cook, stirring, until seasonings are combined with noodles, shrimp are cooked through, and noodles are beginning to brown on bottom of pan (add extra oil if beginning to stick), about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and/or soy sauce. Serve immediately with pickled chilies on the side.