Mild and full of flavor, this carrot stir fry is a delicious way to dress up the old carrot stick.
- Yield:serves 2
- Active time: 10 minutes prep, 10 minutes cooking
- Total time:20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil (preferably coconut oil but any vegetable oil is okay)
- 1 teaspoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 small red onion sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 small green chilies silt lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 cups carrots, peeled, split lengthwise, and cut on a bias into 1/4-inch slices
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
Heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering in a heavy bottomed lidded saucepan. Reduce heat to medium, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Stand back and stir as they splutter and release their fragrance, about 1 minute. Add the onions and chilies and stir fry until onions are softened but not brown, about 2 minutes.
In quick succession add turmeric and chili powder and let them color the oil, stirring vigorously so as not to burn the spices, about 30 seconds. Add the carrots and salt and stir until combined into the oil and onion paste. Add water and close with lid. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, until carrots are tender and water has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Garnish with coconut and serve warm as a side dish or cool as a salad.