This recipe from Alex Bookless of The Passenger in Washington, DC makes a festive party-sized punch for holiday entertaining.
Notes: Bookless recommends using a large single block of ice, which you can make by freezing water in a large plastic tupperware container.
To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cool before using. Simple syrup will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Bittermens tiki bitters are available online.
- Yield:Makes about 20 servings
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle cognac
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) Lustau PX or Moscatel sherry
- 10 ounces (1 cup plus 4 tablespoons) freshly squeezed lemon juice from 8 to 10 lemons
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) freshly squeezed orange juice from 4 to 5 oranges
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) simple syrup (see note)
- 10 dashes Bittermens tiki bitters
- Freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- 1/2 bottle sparkling wine
- Garnish: orange slices, pomegranate seeds, freshly grated nutmeg
Add cognac, sherry, lemon juice, orange juice, simple syrup, and tiki bitters to a large punch bowl. Stir to mix. Add a large ice block (see notes.) Garnish with orange slices, pomegranate seeds, and top with half a bottle of sparkling wine. Sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg on top.