Read more: Beyond Curry: Fried Fish, Kerala-Style
- Yield:Serves 2
- Active time: 20 mins prep ten mins cooking time
- Total time:30 mins
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (or 1 clove grated garlic mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons grated ginger)
- 4 firm-fleshed fish steaks (such as kingfish), about 4 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lime wedge
Place peppercorns, curry leaves, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and coconut in a cast iron skillet and toast on low heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Allow mixture to cool. Add turmeric and grind in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
Rub mixture evenly over fish and allow it to marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 3 hours.
Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. reduce heat to medium-low. Slide in the fish gently and cook, turning once, until cooked through, deep brown, and flesh flakes easily with a fork. The fish should have a deep golden almost charred color. Remove, drain on paper towel-lined plate, and serve immediately with lime wedges.