- Yield:makes 16 faggots
- Active time: 35 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1/2 pound pork liver, finely chopped
- 1 pound kidney (pork or veal), cleaned and finely chopped
- 1/2 large onion, grated on the largest holes of a box grater (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cups fine breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon picked fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 16 strips bacon or 1/3 pound caul fat (soaked in water for 20 minutes)
In a large bowl, combine ground pork, pork liver, kidney, onion, breadcrumbs, mace, thyme, and sage, and mix well with your hands, then season with salt and pepper. Heat vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet; sear off a small amount of filling and taste for seasoning. Adjust if necessary.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 375°F. Place 1/4 cup of filling in the center of a strip of bacon, or piece of caul fat, and wrap fat or bacon around filling. Repeat with remaining filling and then place on prepared baking sheet.
Roast faggots in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes (if using bacon, it will take a bit longer) and serve immediately.