As with many gelati, this ice cream is very creamy but will eventually freeze up hard. It's best eaten a few hours after it's made, but if you need to store it for later, let it thaw in the refrigerator or on the counter before scooping.
Read more: Scooped: Lemon Mascarpone Gelato
- Yield:makes about 1 quart
- Active time: 40 minutes
- Total time:40 minutes
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese, chilled
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, chilled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
In a large bowl, slowly whisk together all ingredients until well combined. If cheese and milk are not already chilled, chill mixture in refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve immediately as soft serve or chill in freezer for 4 hours for a firmer texture.