Browned butter adds a distinct richness and overall nuttiness that melds with and complements the apples and cinnamon to make this an applesauce a step above the rest.
Read more: Sauced: Brown Butter and Cinnamon Applesauce
- Yield:makes about 1 quart
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 2 pounds Golden Delicious Apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 2 pounds Fuji Apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Kosher salt, to taste
Place apples, cider, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer until apples are tender, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash with potato masher to desired consistency.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter turns light golden brown.
Stir butter into applesauce. Season with salt to taste. Let cool slightly then serve or place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or the the freezer for up to a year.