- Yield:Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons coconut, vegetable, or canola oil
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass, tender white bottom section only (about 1 stalk)
- 1 Thai bird chili pepper, thinly sliced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Heat the oil in a large wok over high heat until shimmering. Add the mushrooms and the salt and stir-fry until the mushrooms become tender and begin to release some liquid, 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir the garlic, lemongrass, and chilies into the pan and cook until the garlic just begins to brown, about 1 minute. Add the lime juice and fish sauce, and season with the black pepper, continuing to toss and stir-fry the contents in the wok.
Remove the wok from the heat, then add the cilantro and toss to combine. Season to taste with more salt if desired. Transfer the mushrooms to a serving dish and serve with cocktail forks or toothpicks.