Note: You can use leftover spaghetti squash for this recipe.
Read more: Sandwiched: Spaghetti Squash Grilled Cheese
- Yield:Makes 2 sandwiches
- Active time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1 (about 3-pound) spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds scraped out
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 4 (6-inch long) crusty rolls, split in half lengthwise or 8 thick slices bread
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Adjust an oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange squash, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Brush with butter, then sprinkle with brown sugar. Rub sugar into squash and season with salt and pepper. Roast squash until fork tender, about 1 hour. Transfer to cooling rack and cool for about 10 minutes. Using a fork, scrape the squash’s flesh out and transfer to a medium bowl. Reserve.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shallots and sage and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir mixture into spaghetti squash and season with salt and pepper. Wipe out skillet.
Top one side of each roll with about 1/2 cup squash, then sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Top each sandwich with the remaining rolls, then brush the rolls on all sides with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
Cook sandwiches in now empty skillet over medium heat until cheese melts and bread is crisp and golden, about 5 minutes per side. Allow sandwiches to rest 3 minutes, then cut in half and serve.