- Yield:makes about 3 cups
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 3/4 lb bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter, as needed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place sausage in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook sausage, breaking apart with wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a plate, leaving drippings in pan. If less than 3 tablespoons of drippings remain, melt enough butter in pan to equal about 3 tablespoons.
Whisk flour into sausage drippings and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture turns light brown, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in sausage, sage (if using), and crushed red pepper (if using). Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Use immediately.