Notes:My family used Pepperidge Farm Stuffing mix. You can also make your own bread crumbs, adding dried herbs and crumbled chicken bouillon.
- Yield:serves 4 to 6
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 30 minutes
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 8 ounces shitake or cremini mushroons, ends trimmed, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups herbed dry stuffing crumbs, crushed (see note)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsely, chopped, divided
- 2 pounds, bone-in, skin-on, chicken drumsticks and thighs
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 9- by 13-inch baking dish.
In large skillet over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons butter until foaming subsides. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring, until mushrooms and onions have softened and are beginning to brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Evenly spread into baking dish.
In small bowl, stir mushroom soup with milk; set aside. Place stuffing crumbs in pie plate and stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley; set aside.
Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Dip each piece of chicken into soup mixture, coat both sides with stuffing crumbs, then nestle into baking dish. Drizzle remaining soup mixture between chicken pieces and sprinkle remaining crumbs over the top. Drizzle with remaining 3 tablespoons melted butter.
Bake until golden brown and chicken is cooked through (150°F), about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley. Allow to cool five minutes, and serve.