Read more: British Bites: Gentlemen's Relish
- Yield:Makes 2 cups
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:10 minutes
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces (4 tins) flat anchovies, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash of fresh grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
Combine butter, anchovies, cinnamon, white pepper, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg in a food processor and pulse until well combined. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper if necessary. Alternatively, mash butter with a wooden spoon in a large bowl and then finely chop the anchovies. Add anchovies, cinnamon, white pepper, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg to the bowl, and mix to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mix again.
Use right away as a spread on toast with sliced cucumber or watercress, or use as an additional ingredient to a cottage pie or scrambled eggs, or as a salty condiment for a baked potato, and even as a topping for a seared steak. Gentlemen’s relish will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or wrapped in plastic and frozen for up to three months.