A luscious banana cream pie for chocolate lovers. Malted milk adds a twist to this creamy and ultra-decadent pie.
Notes:I recommend Carnation or Horlicks brand for the malt powder. I used Nabisco Famous wafers for the crust (about 32 wafers). If all of the pudding won't fit into the pie plate, chill remaining pudding separately until set, then spoon over the top. Baking the crust is optional. The crust will be sturdier if baked, but is not necessary.
Read more: Chocoholic: Chocolate Malt Banana Cream Pie
- Yield:makes one 9-inch deep dish pie
- Active time: 45 minutes
- Total time:4 to 5 hours
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons malted milk powder, divided (see note)
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 ounces crushed chocolate cookie crumbs (see note)
- 1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 9 tablespoons (4 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 3 medium bananas, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup (3/4 ounce) cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In small saucepan over medium heat, heat cream until simmering. Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons malted milk powder and milk chocolate until melted. Transfer to container and refrigerate until well-chilled, about 4 hours.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, combine cookie crumbs, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 7 tablespoons butter until mixture is moistened. Press into deep dish pie plate, line with foil, and fill with pie weights. Bake until just set, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool and spread banana slices into crust.
In medium bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons malted milk powder cocoa, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in eggs and 1/2 cup milk until smooth; set aside.
In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat remaining 1 1/2 cups milk to simmering. Whisk hot milk into egg mixture and then return entire mixture to saucepan. Continue to cook, gently whisking, until mixture comes to boil. Remove from heat.
Stir in bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter until chocolate is melted and completely combined. Pour over bananas and chill until set, about 4 hours.
In standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip milk chocolate whip cream to medium-stiff peak. Spoon over chocolate pudding and serve.