Spicy arugula, finely sliced fennel, and juicy oranges make a simple and elegant autumn salad. Each bite is peppery, tart, and sweet.
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- For the Salad:
- 1 (7-ounce) bag arugula (about 7 cups)
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and very thinly sliced (about 3 cups), fronds reserved
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 navel oranges, cut into skinless, pithless segments (see video here)
- For the Dressing:
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine the arugula, fennel, fennel fronds, and orange segments in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk mustard, honey, and vinegar. Whisking constantly, drizzle in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Dress salad as desired (not all the dressing needs to be used). Serve immediately. Extra dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.