Read more: The Nasty Bits: Trotters Tom Yum
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:3 hours 30 minutes
- 4 pork trotters (about 2 pounds)
- 1 stalk lemon grass, cut into 2-inch sections and bruised slightly
- One 1-inch piece of galangal
- 4 kaffir limes leaves
- 6 to 8 bird's eye chilis
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 large tomato, cut into 16 wedges
- Thai Chili Paste (Nam-prik Pao), optional
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- rice noodles cooked according to instructions on package
Rinse trotters under running water. Place trotters in large saucepot pot and cover with water. Simmer until trotters are tender, about 2 1/2 hours, skimming off whatever meat scum rises to the top.
Add lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, and chilies and simmer for 30 minutes longer. Remove the aromatics from the pot and discard. Add sliced vegetables and simmer 5 minutes longer.
Add chili paste (if desired), fish sauce, and lime juice, adding more or less according to taste. Serve with rice noodles and additional segments of lime.