Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Makes 4 sandwiches
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- For the Roasted Yams and Radicchio:
- 1 pound yams, scrubbed and sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated zest and 1 tablespoon juice from about 1 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (or crushed red pepper flakes)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head radicchio, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- For the Assembly
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon juice from about 1 lemon
- 1 cup sprouts, such as radish or alfalfa
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
For the Roasted Yams and Radicchio: Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions and preheat oven to 450°F.
Arrange yams on rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with lemon zest, smoked paprika, and Aleppo pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then arrange in single layer on sheet.
Place radicchio and shallots on second rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Spread out in single layer on sheet
Place yams on upper-middle rack and radicchio on lower-middle rack. Roast until yams are fork-tender and radicchio is wilted, about 15 minutes. Transfer sheets to cooling racks. Cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.
For the Assembly: Whisk tahini, mayonnaise, and lemon juice together in small bowl. Spread 1 side of each slice of bread with tahini mixture.
Top 4 slices bread with 1/4 of yams, 1/4 of sprouts, 1/4 of walnuts, 1/4 of radicchio, and 1 slice cheese. Top with remaining 4 slices bread, tahini side down. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.