Adding hearts of palm or cilantro could be fun twists on this salad. Mixing freshly grated garlic into the dressing is another great option.
- Yield:Serves 2
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, sliced
- 1 cup Sun Gold or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 to 8 picked basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice from about 1 lime
In a mixing bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, cayenne, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the shrimp and coat with the mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Whisk together lemon juice and 4 tablespoons olive oil. Set aside.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a 10-inch cast iron or stainless steel skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add the shrimp and cook without moving until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a small bowl and toss with lime juice.
In a large serving bowl, combine the arugula, shallot, pine nuts, avocado, tomatoes and basil. Add dressing, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Serve immediately, topped with shrimp.