A slightly boozy, butterscotch-like ice cream made bright by fresh ripe peaches.
- Yield:makes 1 quart
- Active time: 1 hour
- Total time:1 hour, plus an overnight chill
- 4 peaches (about 2 pounds whole), pitted and chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup light (clear) corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt (more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
In a blender or food processor combine peaches, cream, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Blend on high until all ingredients are very well combined, about 30 seconds.
Pour through a strainer into a heavy saucepan. Turn heat on medium high and bring base to a simmer, stirring frequently. Let simmer for 2 minutes, or until base becomes slightly syrupy, then remove from heat and transfer to an airtight container. Stir in salt to taste, 1/4 teaspoon at a time, then add bourbon. Cover and chill overnight.
The next day, churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to container and chill in freezer for 3 to 4 hours before serving.