Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Serves 2
- Active time: 5 minutes prep. 5 minutes cooking time
- Total time:10 minutes
- 11/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon whole black mustard seeds
- 3 medium cloves garlic, roughly chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 4 green Thai bird chilis or 2 serrano peppers, slit lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 cups leftover/freshly cooked white rice
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
Heat oil in a medium cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Reduce heat and add the whole black mustard seeds. Stir until they pop, about 15 seconds. Add chopped garlic and slit green chillies. Stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes, taking care not to brown the garlic. Add the turmeric and chilli powder. Stir until they impart their color to the oil, about 10 seconds. Immediately add the white rice and stir until thoroughly coated with the oil. Season to taste with salt salt and serve hot garnished with chopped coriander.