Read more: Skillet Suppers: Crab and Avocado Quesadilla
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 3 ripe Hass avocados, cut in small chunks, divided
- 1 pint Sun Gold or cherry tomatoes, halved, divided
- 2 serrano peppers, thinly sliced, divided
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice from 2 limes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 ounces picked crab meat
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions, light green parts only
- 4 (10-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Lime wedges, for serving
In a serving bowl, combine 2/3rds of avocado, 2/3rds of cherry tomatoes, 1/2 of serrano, cilantro, shallots, and lime juice. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Combine remaining avocado, tomato, serrano, cheese, crab meat, and scallions in a medium bowl and toss to mix. Divide mixture evenly between tortillas, covering half of each tortilla and leaving a 1/2-inch gap around the edge. Fold tortillas to close quesadillas.
Heat 1 of oil in 10-inch stainless steel skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Carefully add two folded tortillas to skillet and cook, shaking pan gently until first side is golden brown and puffed, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully fip tortillas with a flexible slotted spatula, sprinkle with salt, and cook on second side until golden brown and puffed, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and allow to rest while you repeat with the remaining oil and quesadillas. Allow cooked quesadillas to rest 1 minute after cooking for cheese to melt. Cut into wedges and serve with avocado salsa.