Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Makes 4 sandwiches
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium shallots, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake and oyster
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces taleggio cheese, sliced
- 8 slices hearty bread, such as Pullman loaf
Melt 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and brown sugar and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in sherry vinegar and cook an additional 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer mushroom mixture to plate and wipe out skillet.
Spread 1 side of each slice of bread with remaining 4 tablespoons butter and flip bread slices over. Distribute cheese evenly over 8 slices bread. Divide mushroom mixture among 4 slices of cheese-topped bread, then, top with remaining 4 slices and press down gently with hands. (Butter should be on exterior of sandwiches).
Cook sandwiches in 2 batches over medium heat until crisp and golden on both sides, pressing down with spatula, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer sandwiches to cutting board and let rest 3 minutes. Cut on the diagonal and serve immediately.