If you love that whole grain maltiness from Grape-Nuts, these cookies are for you. The bigger Grape-nuggets keep a little bit of their crunch while the applesauce makes for a wonderfully moist cookie.
Note: These cookies work well with either raisins or chocolate chips. The applesauce makes the cookies very tender. Cool them on the baking sheet for a couple minutes then immediately transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Yield:Makes about 3 dozen cookies
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:1 hour and 10 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups (about 8 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 cup (about 4 1/2 ounces) light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup raisins or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
Set oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars on medium-low speed until blended well, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and applesauce and blend on low speed until well combined, about 1 minute. Add egg and mix until just combined then add flour stirring until just combined. Stir in raisins (or chocolate chips) and Grape-Nuts.
Drop dough by tablespoonful onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until edges of the cookies turn golden and the tops are dry, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.