Fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil are a classic combination, but sometimes the dish can be very bland. Here, cherry-sized mozzarella balls (ciliegine) are marinated in extra virgin olive oil, fresh basil, salt and pepper, and then tossed with sweet cherry tomatoes and golden balsamic vinegar. Nothing bland about that.
Regular balsamic vinegar will work but will darken the milky white color of the mozzarella. Use golden if you can.
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1 pound ciliegine mozzarella (cherry-size mozzarella balls)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (regular, white, or golden)
Combine the oil and basil in a bowl. Add the mozzarella and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Add tomatoes and vinegar to the mozzarella and toss to combine. Season to taste with more salt and pepper if desired, and serve immediately