Note: Fresh curry leaves are available in the refrigerated section of specialty markets. You can also order them online at Kalustyan's.
- Yield:Makes 4 open-faced sandwiches
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 30 fresh curry leaves (see note)
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon juice and 1 teaspoon finely grated zest from about 1 lime
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded, ribs removed, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pieces naan, warmed (preferably homemade)
In medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add curry leaves and mustard seeds and cook, stirring, until mustard seeds begin to pop and curry leaves are toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Set 12 curry leaves aside.
Add mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice and zest, jalapeño, scallions, mint, and ginger and stir until thoroughly combined. Stir in chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper. Scoop chicken salad onto warm naan and top with reserved curry leaves.