Read more: Sauced: Barbecue Pizza Sauce
- Yield:Makes about 4 cups
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, tomato paste, honey, cider vinegar, molasses, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Using an immersion blender, or transferring to a regular blender, puree sauce until smooth. Use on pizza the same day, or transfer to a jar and store in refrigerator for up to two weeks.