Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, juice reserved, flesh cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 small onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons picked fresh thyme leaves
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium summer squash, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small eggplant, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound short robust pasta such as penne rigate, cavatelli, garganelli, or gigli
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or parsley leaves
Combine 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a medium non-stick skillet. Heat over medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is a pale golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add tomato strips and their juice, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, season to taste with salt and pepper, then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves and toss. Transfer to a bowl or plate and set aside.
Wipe out skillet with paper towels. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add zucchini and cook, tossing and stirring constantly, just until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, season to taste with salt and pepper, and transfer to a bowl or plate and set aside.
Repeat step 3 with summer squash followed by eggplant.
Cook pasta in well-salted water according to package instructions. When pasta is cooked and drained, return pasta to pot. Add tomato/garlic mixture, onions, zucchini, squash, and eggplant. Add lemon juice and lemon zest to taste and add chopped basil or parsley. Toss to combine and serve immediately.