Read more: British Bites: Onion Bahji
- Yield:makes 14 bahji
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lemon juice to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced into 1/4 inch rings
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 quarts vegetable, canola, or peanut oil
- sliced scallions (optional)
Combine yogurt and cilantro. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Set this dipping sauce aside.
Combine onions, eggs, milk, flour, coriander, and cumin, and mix with your hands, crushing the onions with your fingers, until a smooth batter with a few lumps is formed.
Pour 1 1/2 inches vegetable oil in a large pot and place over medium high heat. When oil is 350°F drop batter into oil by the 1/4 cup into the oil. Cook for 4 minutes per side, or until that side is brown; then flip and continue to cook. Remove bahji from oil and place on paper towels. Serve hot with dipping sauce, sliced scallions and any chutneys you happen to have in the fridge.