The sandwich loaf is basically a cake, except it's made with a whole bread loaf and savory fillings. This one includes egg salad with cured black olives, butter and crisp, peppery radishes, smoked salmon with crème fraîche, capers, and dill.
- Yield:Makes about 8 sandwiches
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1 loaf Pullman bread, whole (about 10- by 5-inches)
- 3 large eggs, hard-boiled, cooled, and peeled
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons finely grated zest and 1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cured black olives, pitted and minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
Finely chop eggs. In medium bowl, combine eggs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, and olives. Break eggs with hands or a potato masher until no pieces larger than 1/4-inch remain. Season to taste with salt and pepper. In second bowl, combine crème fraîche, capers, lemon zest, and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
With serrated knife, make 3 lengthwise horizontal cuts to divide loaf into 4 large slices. Arrange one slice on cutting board. Spread half of mascarpone mixture on slice and layer with salmon. Spread remaining mascarpone mixture on top of salmon and press second slice of bread over it.
Spread this slice with half of butter, then top with single layer of radishes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread third slice of bread with remaining butter and press butter side down on top of radishes.
Spread this topmost layer with egg salad and press top slice on it. Slice crosswise into 1-inch thick slices, wiping knife clean between slices, and serve.