Read more: Sunday Brunch: Bloody Mary-Flavored Gazpacho
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 cucumber, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 rib celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 slice white bread, crust removed, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot sauce
- Sliced green olives, to garnish
- Finely chopped dill or parsley, to garnish
- Grated fresh or prepared horseradish, to garnish
- Finely sliced chives, to garnish
- Vodka (optional)
Toss tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and celery with a good pinch of salt. Place in a strainer over a large bowl, then place torn bread beneath the strainer and let sit for 30 minutes.
Place half of vegetables and bread in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. With blender running, drizzle in half of olive oil in a thin, steady stream. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Repeat with remaining half of vegetables, bread, and olive oil.
Add vineger then season to taste with Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Divide soup between 4 bowls and arrange all the optional garnishes on a platter and serve along side to be added to the soup at the table. Some suggestions for more garnishes: pickles (cucumber is the classic, but green bean, asparagus and carrots are excellent as well), shucked oysters or clams, celery stems with leaves, and beefy jerky. Vodka optional.