Read more: Sunday Brunch: Pear Cardamom Clafoutis
- Yield:makes one 9-inch round cake
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pears, peeled cored and sliced into 1/4 in thick wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed with a mortar and pestle (or 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom)
Grease a 9-inch pie plate with butter. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 375°F. Toss pear sliced with lemon juice and place slices of pear in overlapping pattern in greased pie dish.
Whisk together eggs, sugar, milk, cream and vanilla until all the ingredients are well incorporated. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour salt and cardamom. Whisk flour mixture into egg mixture, beat for 5 minutes until the batter is smooth then let sit for 10 minutes.
Pour the batter over the pear slices and place in the oven. Bake until cake is puffed and brown and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve.