These soft vanilla-scented cookies get a nutty, creamy flavor from salted macadamia nuts.
- Yield:makes about 2 dozen cookies
- Active time: 25 minutes
- Total time:40 minutes, plus 3 hours chilling
- 2 cups (10 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (3.5 ounces) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 6 ounces (170 grams) salted macadamia nuts, very roughly chopped
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add brown sugar and sugar and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla and egg and beat until combined. Add dry ingredients to bowl and beat until just incorporated. Stir in macadamia nuts. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let chill in refrigerator for at least three hours.
Adjust oven rack to middle and lower positions and preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop dough into 1 1/2-inch balls onto prepared baking sheet. Bake until lightly golden, about 18 minutes. Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.