Chocolate for breakfast? You don't need a better reason to get out of bed than that. Especially when it's in the guise of a muffin.
Note: I used a standard size muffin tin with 1/3 cup volume. If your muffin tin has smaller cups, your yield will be higher.
Read more: Chocoholic: Espresso Chocolate Muffins
- Yield:makes 12 muffins
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, divided
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Spray standard muffin tin with non-stick pan spray. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into medium bowl; set aside. In large bowl, whisk sugar with eggs until light, about 30 seconds. Whisk in oil, milk, vanilla, and espresso until combined.
Whisk dry mixture into wet mixture until just combined. Stir in 1 cup chips.
Evenly divide batter between muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining chips. Bake until set, 17 to 19 minutes. Let muffins cool in pan 15 minutes, then remove muffins from tin and place on wire rack to cool.