- Either an 8x8 or 9x9-inch pan will work for this recipe.
- When folding puffed rice cereal into mixture, stir gently so as not to crush the cereal too much.
- When folding in the chopped bittersweet chocolate at the end, some of the chocolate may melt into the mixture.
- Lightly greasing a rubber spatula will help keep the mixture from sticking.
About the Author: Yvonne Ruperti is a food writer, recipe developer, former bakery owner, and author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Easy Artisan Bread. You can also watch her culinary stylings on the America's Test Kitchen television show. She presently lives in Singapore as a freelance writer and recipe developer. Check out her blog: shophousecook.com . Follow Yvonne on Twitter.
Read more: Chocoholic: Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Yield:serves 9
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing pan
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 1/2 ounces (one bag, about 5 cups) marshmallows
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 cups puffed rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Lightly grease pan with butter. In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add salt, marshmallows, unsweetened chocolate, and cocoa, and melt, stirring frequently. Stir in vanilla.
Fold in puffed rice cereal until completely coated. Fold in bittersweet chocolate. Immediately spread into pan. Gently smooth top with spatula and sprinkle evenly with salt.
Let sit until set, about 30 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.