These chewy cookies have a double dose of chocolate.
- Yield:makes about 2 dozen cookies
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 35 minutes (includes chilling)
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup (8.75 ounces) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetneed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso (optional)
- 1 cup dark or bittersweet chocolate chips
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg, vanilla, and milk until well combined. Beat in cocoa powder and espresso if using. Pour dry ingredients into bowl and beat until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover dough in plastic wrap and let chill in refrigerator at least 1 hour.
Adjust oven rack to middle and lower positions and preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake cookies until dry on top, 10-12 minutes.
Let cookies cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.