Read more: Sandwiched: Breakfast Torta
- Yield:Makes 4 sandwiches
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 4 sturdy rolls
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot sauce such as Cholula or Valentina
- 1 cup chicharrones, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro or culantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Pickled jalapeños and lime wedges to taste
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange rolls on baking sheet and place in oven and bake until heated through, about 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat beans in microwave or small skillet until completely heated through, about 2 minutes. Set aside. In small bowl, combine mayonnaise and hot sauce. Set aside.
With clean dish rag or oven mitts, transfer warm bread to cutting board. With serrated knife, split each roll in half. Spread inside of 4 bottom pieces of each roll with 1/4 of beans. Layer beans with chicharrones, cotija, avocado, onion, and cilantro, distributing each topping evenly among 4 rolls. Spread inside of 4 top pieces with mayonnaise mixture.
Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack eggs into pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook until whites begin to set and turn opaque. Cover pan and cook until yolks and whites are cooked to preferred doneness, 2 to 4 minutes.
Place 1 egg on top of each roll, then close top of sandwich. Serve with pickled jalapeños and lime wedges.